Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Author's Life: Marketing, Marketing and more Marketing!



For three weeks in 2009, I put myself through a marketing push that has finally made a few dents in the sales of the three published novels in the Julius Thompson Thrillogy.
I’ve finished the fourth book, Purple Phantoms, and I’m in the editing process. I’ve spent the past fifteen years developing this Thrillogy and the Journey is over. With the completion of Purple Phantoms, my writing life is headed in a different direction.
My hectic marketing push began on Labor Day weekend with the AJC Decatur Book Festival in Decatur, Georgia in 2009 where I had the experience of talking about my first novel, A Brownstone In Brooklyn, at the Java Monkey coffee house, then three weeks later I had the pleasure of debuting my second novel, Philly Style & Philly Profile, at the legendary Robins Bookstore in Center City Philadelphia on Sept. 13th.
However, the experience of going back to my old neighborhood to speak in Brooklyn’s Bedford-Stuyvesant section at the Creative Arts Fair on Lewis Avenue, across the street from the Macon Library on Sept. 14, 2009, was an experience that I’m still savoring three years later.
The Creative Arts Fair was located on a closed off street in Brooklyn. Lewis Avenue was a sounding board for me as I talked about A Brownstone in Brooklyn surrounded by those impressive Brownstones. The sound system was fantastic and my voice echoed off the very builidings found in the novel.
It was an incredible moment in Brooklyn.
For three weeks I lived the life of a Author and it was awesome.
In 2010 I was on the road in Charlottesville, Virginia for the Virginia Festival of the Book in the early spring, Roxborough Library in Philadelphia, Buffalo, New York for the Buffalo Book Fair and finally Brooklyn, New York at the Eastern Parkway Branch Library.
For six months I lived the life of an author on the road and it was even better.
Now in 2011, I’ve stayed close to home in Atlanta with the launch Ghost of Atlanta in January 2011, the Sandy Springs Library event in early March and the upcoming AJC-Decatur Book Festival presentation in September 2011.
But starting in January 2011, I’m on the road again with a presentation in Lumberton, North Carolina at the “Book’em North Carolina” event.
My marketing adventures are ever increasing.
Now, if I can only do this fulltime!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home